Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Counted Cross Stitch : Fall colors

I have used cross stitch before to create smaller craft projects like this one. This is the first time I undertook a bigger pattern. I got the kit by Dimensions Designs from Michaels art and craft store. I loved the fall colors on the pattern and decided to give it a try. Cross stitching definitely is a rewarding experience as the end product is really beautiful. But I would also mention that it needs a lot of patience. So if you are trying for the first time I would suggest starting with a smaller pattern.

There are stamped patterns where the pattern is stamped on the fabric and then the counted cross stitch ones where you have the pattern on the graph and you count the squares and stitch on the fabric based on the pattern.

There are many patterns available online for free. I prefer the kit for larger projects because it makes it easy to get all the supplies especially the different colored threads( also called floss) for the pattern.

You need following supplies :
1. Needle
2. Threads based on your pattern
3. Aida cloth
4. Embroidery hoop ( the kit I bought did not have one)
5. The pattern you want to make
6. Color key for the pattern (comes with the kit)

The kits generally come with instructions on how to do the basic stitches used in the pattern like cross stitch, half stitch, back stitch etc and the instructions are fairly easy to follow. For some detailed instructions you can refer this tutorial. I would specially suggest to look at how to start and end threads. Also start stitching from the center of the fabric to position the pattern correctly on the fabric.

Here is a picture of my work in progress.It took me a lot of time to complete this pattern but I am really proud of myself that I finished the project :). The final design is 14 inches by 11 inches. You can get it framed by a professional but I find it very expensive.

I framed it myself in a 16 by 20 frame matted for 11 by 14 design. I ironed the fabric after I was finished stitching and used masking tape to affix the fabric to the cardboard in the frame. You can refer this link for more detailed instructions on framing your cross stitch project.

I am sure I will continue using cross stitch for my projects as its so easy to do but probably more for smaller projects. Its definitely worth trying at least once.

1 comment:

  1. it brings back the memories of Anchor stich we used to use as kids during summer holidays.... :)

    ReplyDelete

We will love to have your comments/feedback!