Friday, September 18, 2009

Happy Navratri : Paper Quilled Durga Ma

Today, September 19th is the first day of nine day long Navratri festival.The festival celebrates the victory of good over evil and is celebrated all over India in different forms. I have had the opportunity to experience most of them ranging from Dushehra celebrations in North, Garba in West, Durga Puja in East and Golu in South. I have always been in awe of the elaborate puja pandals ( halls) for Durga Puja and this creation of mine is inspired by the gorgeous idols of Durga ma in these pandals. Following are the supplies I used : - Paper quilling strips - Slotted tool for paper quilling ( bamboo skewer works too) - Glue and Scissors - Card Stock - Shadow box for framing It took me a while to figure out how to make this project. First I sketched outline of the face on the paper I was going to use as the base. For the outline of the face and eyes I used single quilling strip. You have to be very careful while applying glue. Apply it using a needle or thin brush for neatness. Always use a glue that dries clear. For the eyeballs and the jewelery I used the basic coil shape of different sizes. For her hair I have used the petal shape and for her tilak the teardrop shape. For more details on how to get different quilling shapes refer my earlier post on paper quilling. I finished the project by framing it in a shadow box with a black background. I loved making this project. It brought back all the fond memories of festivities back in India. Happy Navratri to all of you! Enjoy the festivities.

If you make something inspired by our work please give credit. We do not give permission to copy our designs for profit. Be original and take pride in your work!

8 comments:

  1. amazing.. just amazing...the way you describe evry steps...... makes it look so easy... loved it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks Amazing.. U have got creative mind :) Hats off and Continue..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really lovely and so neatly done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody! You appreciation means a lot to us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amrita: This is Vanitha,I just loved ur blog, I came across this only recently. I am a lover of arts n crafts.. Wil be glad to get in touch with u and follow ur blog regularly

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ann Martin : I am a fan of your blog. Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @Vanitha: Thanks a ton. Hope to see you here more often.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow
    Really awesome.
    I excited to see it.
    I love it.
    viji

    ReplyDelete

We will love to have your comments/feedback!