Sunday, June 19, 2011

Paper Quilled Veena


I made this Saraswati Veena with paper quilling sometime early this year. The Saraswati veena (also spelled Saraswati vina) is an Indian plucked string instrument. It is named after the Hindu goddess Saraswati, who is usually depicted holding or playing the instrument. In Hinduism Saraswati is the goddess of knowledge, art and music.

Saraswati is also known as a guardian deity in Buddhism who upholds the teachings of Gautama Buddha by offering protection and assistance to practitioners.

I wanted to try quilling a musical instrument and this seemed to be the perfect choice. It took me a lot of time to finish this project. I mostly worked at nights as that time my son was only about a year old. The finished design is 8 x 10 inches approx. Entire Veena except the strings is made with quilling strips. For the strings I used golden thread( Zari).

I loved the final results and hope you like it as much as I do :).

9 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous, love the design and colors!, fantastic job!!
    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  2. really brilliant and the colours are so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its Awesome! Mind blowing work..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all! Your kind words mean a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!!!! this is sooo unique...lovely creation...loved your blog...keep up the good work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks a lot Mona. Loved your blog too :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The first time on your blog and I love what I see.I'll keep on coming with great pleasure.
    all the best,
    aureliaeugenia

    ReplyDelete

We will love to have your comments/feedback!